As our travel agent Jacky B. mentioned about booking a honeymoon, sometimes comfort and convenience are worth paying a little extra:
- Upgrade to first class if you have a really long flight ahead of you.
- Consider non-stop flights, which are a little more expensive, but save you precious time.
- Upgrade your romantic getaway to the best room available with the most amenities offered. The last thing you want is to find you’re only enjoying a portion of what you could be getting with your significant other.
That all works for “standard travel,” such as hotels and accommodations outside the membership. Global Discovery Vacations members have more unique ways to splurge on condominiums (when applicable):
- You can use extra Star Credits for another room and give yourself more space.
- Travel during Peak Season (if you want to go when destinations are most active).
- more Star Credits. The more credits you have, the easier it is to do the previous two.
Iconic attractions such as the Eiffel Tower are well worth the price of admission. Photo courtesy of member Grace R.
Experiences in general are good investments, since you can’t just buy them later off Amazon. Climbing to the top of the Eiffel Tower, touring the Smithsonian or even seeing your favorite sports team win a championship will create memories for a lifetime.
If you’ve ever been to Disney World, you probably already know this. After you spend a day at Magic Kingdom, we doubt you’d regret paying for those tickets.
When the Proceeds Go to a Good Cause
Member Elizabeth H. playing with a 2-year-old 200-pound tiger from Thailand. There are sanctuaries all over the world you can visit to help support wildlife.
I am notorious for avoiding purchases when I know I can get a similar product for three bucks less elsewhere. But when I know my purchase will directly affect a person or organization, I realize it’s less about the product and more about the producer. This can include:
- Local merchants and farmer’s markets to support businesses.
- Visits to animal rehabilitation centers and aquariums.
- Fair trade shops to help developing countries.
- A product that sends proceeds to a non-profit organization (National Park Foundation, Wildlife Conservation Network). A simple donation would do just as well.
Who knew spending money could be so fulfilling?
Insurance for Peace of Mind
Certain circumstances may tempt you to buy insurance for your trip.
Rental Car Insurance
Educate yourself on this subject beforehand, but rental car insurance can be a good idea if you are driving a lot and in uncertain areas. For example, I would want to add on insurance if I’m driving in the rugged mountains of Colorado as opposed to the flush streets of rural Kansas. Again, this is all about your comfort level and how much you’ll be driving.
As we’ve seen before, events that happen out of our control could cost you a vacation. If you’re traveling to the coast during hurricane season, for example, it might be a good idea to have insurance in your back pocket in the event of another Hurricane Matthew. There’s a lot to consider, which you can see outlined on our website.
Saving money is great, but there are times when spending money can make your trip much more enjoyable. Take the amount you saved when booking your condo and treat yourself to a fancy plane ride or the experience of a lifetime. You worked hard for it!
Do you like to splurge? Let us know what, or when, you are willing to pay extra in the comments!